Mini-split systems are ductless, energy-efficient systems that manage your property’s heating and cooling, and they have become very popular ductless HVAC options for home and business owners. While you may be tempted to DIY an installation or repair job, ductless mini-split services are best left to the professionals. At Ostroski Plumbing & Heating, our technicians are experienced professionals that are equipped to help you with your mini-split system needs.
What Is a Ductless Mini-Split System?
Mini-splits are essentially small central air units that can heat or cool one or more zones (or rooms) in your property. These systems have an indoor unit (i.e. an evaporator) that is connected to an outdoor unit (i.e. the condensing unit) via copper tubing and electrical wiring. The indoor and outdoor unit can be connected via a small hole (no more than 3”).
Is a Mini-Split System Worth It?
A mini-split can be a great investment, and there are a lot of benefits to installing a mini-split system in your home. Below, we will discuss the pros and cons of mini-splits, and the pros far outweigh the cons.
The pros of mini-split systems are as follows:
- Mini-splits are energy efficient, which can save you money. Because these systems are ductless, you avoid wasting and losing energy due to poorly insulated ducts. 20%-30% of a home’s energy consumption can be attributed to duct energy losses and reducing your energy consumption can also help you save money on energy bills.
- Mini-splits offer higher security. As mentioned, these systems only require a small hole in the wall to connect the indoor and outdoor units. As opposed to window units, mini-splits do not allow intruders easy access to your property.
- You can control multiple zones (or rooms). If you opt to install a multi-room zoning system, you can connect multiple indoor units to a single outdoor unit and still set each indoor unit to a different temperature. You can also turn some indoor units off while leaving some on based on your heating and cooling needs on a room-to-room basis.
- Mini-splits offer you some flexibility. Unlike conventional systems, ductless systems can be installed in various configurations. You can install them in a single room or multiple rooms throughout the home to ensure your warmth and comfort.
- Mini-splits are available in a variety of sizes and styles. These systems can be mounted on the wall or floor; there are also slim duct or compact cassette options that range in size and capacity. It is important that you have the right size system (with a BTU/H rate) that meets your home’s needs.
- You can easily use your system. Many of the systems that we install come equipped with a remote and are compatible with Google Home and Alexa.
- Mini-splits are not noisy. AC units create a lot of noise, but mini-splits are quieter, and most mini-splits have some of the lowest decibel ratings on the market (for indoor and outdoor units).
- The installation is easy. Installing mini-split systems is easy and non-invasive (but not so easy that you should attempt an installation yourself). Because the installation involves making a small hole rather than making large alterations, these systems are especially beneficial to those in condos or apartments.
- Mini-splits can improve air quality. Dust and other pollutants can collect in ducts. Because mini-splits are ductless, you can improve your property’s air quality by eliminating contaminants.
- You can maintain year-round comfort. Even in extreme temperatures, ductless mini-split can ensure you are not left out in the cold.
The cons of mini-split systems are as follows:
- Some find them unappealing aesthetically. While they are flexible in terms of their placement in the home, mini-split systems typically come in a standard color. They are also not meant to be painted (or else you risk compromising the integrity of the unit and the warranty).
- They can be pricey. While mini-split systems can save energy (and money), the cost of installation and the system can be more costly upfront.
For professional help with mini-split installation or maintenance/repair service, contact us online or call (978) 355-1673 to learn more about our services.
“Thank you so much for being so accommodating to my schedule, the service was done quickly, was reasonably priced l, and everyone involved was very nice and respectful!”Jong y.
You should schedule regular maintenance appointments to ensure your system runs efficiently. Routine maintenance can help you avoid costly repairs and meet warranty requirements and maintaining your unit can mean extending your unit’s life and maximizing on your investment.
Between maintenance appointments, you can monitor your unit for signs of needed maintenance to keep your ductless mini-split system working at maximum efficiency. Here are some signs that you may need to schedule a maintenance appointment.
- Reduced output. If your system is not producing heat, there may be a problem with the coils, electrical circuit, refrigerant, or filters.
- Poor air quality. As mentioned, mini-splits can improve your property’s air quality as they do not trap dusts or pollutants as much as ducts do. If you notice the air quality is decreasing, you may need maintenance.
- Loud sounds. Since mini-splits do not often create a lot of noise, the system likely need maintenance if you notice popping, grinding, gurgling, or other load noises.
- Short-cycling. When your system does not finish a heating or cooling cycle, the system is short-cycling. This can affect your system’s operational life, energy bills, and/or overall comfort.
- Malfunctioning controls. If your mini-split won’t power on or malfunctions, this may be a sign of electrical problems or faulty valves. However, be sure to check the remote batteries first.
- Unusual smells. If your mini-split smells (musty, vinegary, fishy, or mildewy), the system may have an issue caused by a refrigerant leak, improper drainage, or electrical malfunctions.
- High energy bills. If you notice a change in your energy bill, this may mean your system is working harder to heat or cool your house because of an obstruction or faulty valve (or part).
Do Mini-Splits Increase Your Property Value?
If you are thinking of selling your property now or in the future, you be considering updating your HVAC system or making new installation to improve the listing price. Installing a mini-split can increase the value, since they create a more comfort environment, improve air quality, and are energy-efficient. Mini-splits can be extremely valuable in homes where you have drafty or chilly rooms that may turn away potential buyers.
To learn more about mini-split systems and/or our services, reach out to us online or call (978) 355-1673 for a free consultation.